My son plays trombone for Mr. Jon Cotton, but until I started to work with the band boosters on the upcoming "" event slated for January 28 at the Oconee County Civic Center, I did not know these things about the new band director.
TOP 10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOR, JON COTTON.
1) Prior to this appointment, Jon served as Director of Bands at Jefferson Middle School in Jefferson, GA for six years.
2) He also served as assistant director for Jefferson High School where he assisted full-time with the marching band as well as with the concert program as needed.
3) Jon was honored to be selected as Jefferson Middle School’s “Teacher of the Year” for the 2008-2009 academic year.
4) He graduated from the University of Georgia in 2005 with a Bachelor of Music in Music Education, and completed the Master of Education in Music Education degree from Auburn University in 2011.
5) During his time at UGA, Jon performed with the Symphonic Band, numerous saxophone ensembles, was section leader and Historian for the Redcoat Band, participated in the Derbies Pep Band, played baritone in the Basketball Band, and sang with the UGA Men's Glee Club.
6) He is an active member of the Georgia Music Educators Association where he currently serves as District XIII Secretary/Treasurer.
7) Jon is a member of the National Band Association, MENC: The National Association for Music Education and the Professional Association of Georgia Educators.
8) Jon is a brother of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia.
9) He has served on the staff of the UGA Summer Music and Marching Band Camps since 2004.
10) In his free time, Jon enjoys attending local concerts, Georgia Bulldog Football and relaxing with friends, family and teaching colleagues.