1. The first summer heat wave starts this weekend, with highs today around 96 degrees with a 20 percent chance of rain, mostly after 3 p.m. Lows will be in the low 70s.
2. Need to dust off your moonwalking skills? Check out the June version of First Friday on Main tonight. This is a family-friendly event featuring dining, shopping and events for the kids. And who doesn’t love free popcorn?
3. The Oconee Cultural Arts Center will have a member’s exhibition from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to recognize the expertise of the Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation membership.
4. The State Botanical Garden will host a event at 9 a.m. The program is “An Irreverant but Relevant Look at Plant Names,” and it includes a breakfast and discussion. Cost is $12 and $10 for members. Contact: 706-542-6138.
5. Unwind from the workweek by sculpting some clay. Each Friday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., has a “Try Clay” class for all ages. You can learn a variety of techniques with terra cotta clay, and your work will be finished with a food safe glaze.