Many Americans will have a holiday from work Monday to observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and Hands on Northeast Georgia is hoping those in the Athens-Clarke and Oconee area will consider devoting some of that time to various local service projects as part of the 2013 MLK Day of Service.
"Last year we had 35 sites and over 1,000 volunteers and we are looking forward to an even more successful day this year!" the organization's website states.
Are you planning to volunteer on the 2013 MLK Day of Service? Have you participated in the past? Share about your experiences below.
From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., volunteers will disperse to work on their designated project. The afternoon will conclude with the 3nd Annual Dream to be Able ML5K benefitting Extra Special People, Inc.
New this year, volunteers are asked to bring non-perishable food items to donate to the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia. To register for a service project, visit handsonnega.org/athensmlk or follow one of the direct links below.
- BikeAthens BRP
- Boys & Girls Club Community Garden
- PACS - Positive About Cedar Shoals
- Landscaping and Curtain Hanging
- Landscaping at Clarke Central High School
- Cleveland Road Elementary
- 3rd Annual Dream to Be Able ML5K Course Marshalls
- Sorting Salvage
- Cemetery Restoration - Clean-up and Beautification
- Creating a Green School at South Jackson Elementary School
- Gospel Pilgrim Cemetery
- Volunteer Paint Day at the Guest House at ARMC
- Hill Chapel Baptist Church Outdoor Worship Area
- OCPR Landscape Maintenance
- Food Drive Assistants
- East Athens Community Park Trail Workday
- Greenway Buffer Restoration
- Knitting & Crocheting for Kids
- Memorial Park Forest Restoration Project
- Dropout Roundup
- Oglethorpe Avenue Nature Trail/Landscape Enhancement
- Lakeside Trail Maintenance and Cemetery Restoration
- Women to the World's PALS Institute, Partnering Ambassadors for Life and Service
Volunteers under age 18 must either bring a copy of the attached Youth Permission Form signed by a parent or guardian to the volunteer project or must be accompanied by a guardian to have it signed during check-in.
For parents of small children, child care is available through First Presbyterian Church.
For information about other MLK day events taking place this weekend, please visit handsonnortheastgeorgia.com/athensmlk/mlk-events/.