Oconee County Middle School (OCMS), home of the Braves, is centrally located between downtown Watkinsville and north Oconee County.
The OCMS school year consists of four nine-week terms on a campus containing more than 70 classrooms as well as outdoor patio seating and sports facilities. The students' academic week consists of daily rotating schedules.
The school has consistently recorded high state test scores and enjoys active support from an involved community. The OCMS 2009 CRCT Exam scores (Grade 8) exceed Georgia state averages in every category.
The OCMS mission strives to help the students learn the skills and knowledge needed to be productive citizens while the vision is to empower all OCMS students by guiding them towards being "community-minded" adults.
Get your Braves gear here: http://www.schooltube.com/user/oconee
- Fax: 706-769-3572 fax
- Hours: Classes Mon - Fri, 8:15am - 3:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 800
- Male-to-female ratio: 48% - 49%
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: 2005-06 GA Single Statewide Accountability System Platinum Award for Greatest Gain of Students Meeting & Exceeding Standards Award. OCMS FFA Chapter named Outstanding Middle School Winner - National FFA Model of Innovation, National Chapter Award.
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 16:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: over 50 teachers (over 70 faculty and staff total)
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Active Partners in Education Program; PTO Business Partners; Student community volunteer projects (such as Ecology Club shoe recycling)
- Grade levels: 6, 7, 8
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Extracurricular activities available: Award-winning Jazz, Concert and Symphonic Bands; Chorus; Academic Bowl
- Student clubs: Student Council, Ecology, Beta, FCCLA, FCA, FFA, 4-H, Yearbook, Literary Magazine, H.E.R.O. (Helping Everyone Reach Out)
- Sports teams: Football, Basketball, Softball, Soccer, Track, Wrestling, Cross-County Track, Golf, Volleyball, Competitive Cheerleading