.

Extra Special People is Calling All Cyclers

A bike race later this month will raise money for ESP summer camp at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge.

Extra Special People (ESP) is always spinning its wheels for better ways to serve kids with disabilities, and soon, everyday members of the community can too.

On Oct. 23, the Oconee-based nonprofit will take part in the sixth annual Spin for Kids charity bike ride benefiting Camp Twin Lakes and its camp partners, according to a news release.

Adult bikers are invited to participate in the 5-, 27-, 47-, 62- and 100-mile road bike rides embarking from Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge.  Riders would agree to a $35 registration fee plus pledge to raise at least $100.

Younger riders are also encouraged to participate.  Those 17-years-old and younger pay a $15 registration fee.  There is no fundraising requirement for youth riders, the news release noted.

The annual bike ride helps fund summer programs at Camp Twin Lakes, which in turn serves more than 45 camp groups each year, including ESP. Each year, ESP holds a seven-week summer camp,  the last week of which is spent at Camp Twin Lakes. Campers have the opportunity to build confidence and social skills away from home.

Fundraising allows the camp to subsidize 80 percent of costs for each camper, with camp partners like ESP covering the remaining 20 percent. Participants in the Oct. 23 bike ride can choose to direct their donations to Camp Twin Likes in general or to ESP specifically by joining the ESP team.

Join the Camp ESP team by registering at spinforkids.org or contacting Kathleen Miller at kmiller@oconeeschools.org. Registration is available the day of the ride, but participants should allow extra time for day-of registration.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »