The merger of North Georgia College & State University and Gainesville State College was made official Tuesday by a vote of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents.
The University of North Georgia is one of four newly created institutions resulting from consolidations recommended in 2011 by University System of Georgia Chancellor Hank Huckaby with the goal of increasing college completion rates, broadening access to public higher education and maintaining affordability.
Dr. Bonita Jacobs has been appointed president of the University of North Georgia.
"UNG will be one of the few universities in the country, if not the only one, to offer such a broad range of degrees and educational opportunities," Jacobs said in a released statement. "Individually, our institutions have been leaders in our sectors. Combined, the scope of our degree programs – from certificates and associate's degrees to doctoral level programs, along with other elements of our mission, like the Corps of Cadets and multi-campus sites, create a new and rare educational experience."
In celebration of the consolidation, rolling tours of UNG's campuses are planned for Thursday, Jan. 10.
Here's the schedule:
- Dahlonega at 8 a.m. at Memorial Hall Gymnasium
- Oconee Campus at 10:45 a.m. in room 522
- Gainesville’s Student Center at 1:30 p.m.,
- Cumming at 4 p.m. in the center’s community room
The events will feature brief presentations by Jacobs and community dignitaries, refreshments and small giveaways to commemorate the event, according to a news release.
The UNG faculty and staff will have its first business meeting on Jan. 11 to approve the university's statutes and bylaws for its Faculty Senate and Staff Council organizations, a news release stated. Other operational components, such as the university's academic schedule, curriculum and budgets will be consolidated over the next few months.
You might also be interested in reading:
- Students select mascot for the University of North Georgia - (On North Georgia News)
- Regents Approve Name for New Institution Created By GSU and NGCSU Merger
- Schools Consolidation Plan Approved By Regents
- Watkinsville's Gainesville State Campus Could be Part of Merger with North Georgia
- Huckaby Picked As Chancellor