It's that time of year again. Time to cook the turkey and the casseroles, gather around the table with your loved ones and shop for the perfect gifts. What will you give? Will you give the latest technology, the best sports equipment, or the hottest toys? Want to give a gift that is more meaningful; one that may last a lifetime? How about the gift of TIME?
Mentoring a child is the gift of time that gives back. Dr. Linda Phillips-Jones of the Mentoring Group offered some great reasons why investing at least two hours a month (24 hours a year) is so important for the mentor and the mentee.
1. You will learn. Mentors learn from their mentees. Children with different interests, skills, and talents have much to share with their adult mentors.
2. You will pay back. In the past, you may have received good mentoring from someone in school or in the workplace and never had a chance to show your appreciation.
3. You will review and validate what you know and what you have accomplished. Sharing with another what you know helps you realize that you have accomplished more than you thought.
4. You will feel satisfied, proud and other energizing emotions. When you have a positive effect on your mentee you can expect to feel a sense of pride, happiness, contentment and excitement!
5. You will leave the world better than you found it. When you share your life's wisdom while encouraging and supporting others it costs nothing and changes the world one life at a time.
Won't you join the Oconee County Mentor Program and give the gift of time, your time, to a child this year? Caring men and women are needed to share their experience and wisdom with children of all ages in the Oconee County Schools! Please contact Patsy Grimes, Mentor Program Coordinator, at Oconee Area Resource Council - 706-769-4974 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.