By Joey Bristol
We all believe that our house is the safest place on the planet. However, is there something that is in our homes that is harming us every day and we don’t even know about it?
Unfortunately, there is an invisible, radioactive gas, radon which lives in our homes because we cannot use our senses to get rid of it.
Radon is a gas that we cannot hear, smell, taste, touch, or see, but is part of the air which is why we cannot destroy this harmful gas. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer and is present everywhere we go.
My goal is to share this problem with my community so everyone is aware and starts testing their homes. Radon test kits can be purchased from your local UGA extension office for $8, from hardware stores, or online.
Georgia has the highest number of deaths, 866 deaths per year, in the Southeast, all due to radon. That is a statistic that needs to change. Testing your home is an easy process and is something that every household should test for.
The dangerous level for radon is 4.0 or more pC/L. It doesn’t matter where your house is located or how old or new it is. I want you to test your house.
If you have a high radon level, it can be fixed! UGA radon mitigators can install a pipe and fan to pull the radon gas from underneath your home and blow it above the roof to the outside air. This will reduce your indoor radon level!
Please test your home today and save a life! If you have
any questions, please contact the Oconee County Cooperative Extension Office or