School news tops off our list of today's happenings in Oconee. Students return to class, the Oconee Board of Education meets, and local teams play some hoops. Check out what else rounds out our list today!
1. School buses take to the roads once again! Students in Oconee are back in the classroom today after snow foiled last week's lesson plans. The schools also celebrated the federal holiday memorializing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. yesterday.
2. The Oconee County School Board meets for its monthly regular session this morning at 10 a.m. in the meeting room of the Superintendent's Building located at 34 School Street. The meeting was rescheduled as a result of -- you guessed it -- last week's winter storm. Among the agenda items are budget and construction updates and several proposed policy changes.
3. Children ages 2-5 and their caregivers are invited to the bi-weekly Storytime at Oconee Public Library. Along with enjoying age-appropriate stories, young children will engage in songs and crafts. This is a great, free event! There will be sessions at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
4. Basketball is the game of the day with Westminster Christian Academy boys and girls JV and varsity teams playing host to John Hancock Academy this afternoon. The JV girls' team hits the court first at 4 p.m. The Monsignor Donovan Rams play Briarwood at home in a varsity girls Region 1-AA game at 6:00pm. And UGA men's team takes on the Tennessee Vols at 7 p.m. in SEC action. Come out and support your local teams! Check out our events page for ticket information.
5. Interested in news? a six-week workshop hosted by the non-profit Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation, begins tonight at 6 p.m. You must register to participate and there is a fee of $90 for members or $100 for non-members. Registration may be completed online.