By Scott Bernarde
Throughout the season, the Georgia High School Football Daily has compiled and updated a top 10 list of contenders for its state player of the year award.
Northeast Georgia is well-represented on the latest update:
1. Kawon Bryant, North Oconee: The running back is rated No. 7 on the GHSFD list. Athens Christian fans saw him rush for 368 yards and five touchdowns last week. This week: vs. Jackson County.
2. Stanton Truitt, Monroe Area: The quarterback
who has committed to Auburn has accounted for 900 yards in four games,
including eight TD passes. This week: vs. undefeated Lanier.
3. Stanley Williams, George Walton Academy: A nationally ranked recruit at running back, Williams has more than 700 yards and 10 TDs in four games. Don’t let GWA’s classification (Class 1A) fool you. Williams is as good as Georgia has at the high school level. This week: at Commerce.
4. Deshaun Watson, Gainesville: The quarterback has 1,200 passing yards in four games, including 372 and four TDs against Apalachee last week. Oh, by the way, the all-time Georgia passing leader will showcase his talents against Patch schools Cedar Shoal (Oct. 4), Clarke Central (Oct. 18) and Loganville (Nov. 1). This week: at Heritage, Conyers.
5. Korie Rogers, Buford: It would be a surprise if there wasn’t a Buford player on any top 10 list any season. A linebacker, Rogers is a Clemson commitment. This week: vs. Banks County.Source: Georgia High School Football Daily (ghsfdaily.com)