Watkinsville Police: Charges Pending in Attempted Burglary Case
The following information was supplied by the Watkinsville police department. An arrest does not indicate a conviction.
A neighbor interrupted a group of juveniles who were attempting to break into an apartment on Cedar Drive around 3 p.m. on Sunday. Police located the group of kids nearby and charges are pending. Entry to the apartment was not gained and nothing was reported to be missing.
In his weekly news release, Watkinsville Police Chief Lee O'Dillon recapped some of the other incidents that police responded to during the week ending Feb. 19.
- Early Monday morning, Feb. 13 police were called to Fastenal, 1071 Business Boulevard, after the store manager arrived for work and discovered that the building had been entered and a quantity of tools had been stolen. Entry was made by prying open a door. Several power tools and a long list of Lenox reciprocating saw blades were stolen. The break-in may be connected to thefts at several other Fastenal stores in Georgia and South Carolina.
- Police responded to a domestic situation at a Cedar Drive address on Feb. 15. A 13-year-old-girl and a parent were involved in a heated argument. Officers discovered deplorable living conditions inside the apartment. The Oconee County Department Of Family And Children Services was contacted to assist.
- Wednesday evening police responded to Norton Road where the driver of a gold Scion had lost control, skidded off the roadway, and struck a sign post. The road sign was destroyed and the driver fled the scene.
- Police were called to a domestic situation at a White Street address on Feb. 16. A man and woman had become involved in an argument concerning a child. The property owner was awakened by the dispute and instructed both people to leave.
- On Thursday morning, the driver of a 2012 Ford Focus struck a large deer on North Main Street near the city limits. The 39-year-old driver was not injured but the new car suffered considerable damage.
- Police were called to the Watkinsville Post Office on Thursday afternoon after a 2005 Nissan Titan backed into a 2010 Toyota Prius. Nobody was injured.
- At 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, police stopped a 1998 Ford F-150 after observing it cross the double yellow center line and driving off the edge of the roadway. A 46-year-old Winterville man failed sobriety testing and was charged with DUI and failure to maintain lane.
- On Sunday night an Athens woman advised that she was struck on her face by a woman at a North Main Street address. The victim would not co-operate or identify the person who struck her. Witnesses did not wish to become involved.
Police responded to a total of 33 calls within city limits between Monday, Feb. 13 and Sunday, Feb. 19.
For questions about this blotter, email firstname.lastname@example.org.