Proposed 2012-13 School Calendar Includes Fall Break, Additional Winter Break
Teachers requested the additional breaks and high school educators want the end of the year to better coincide with Advanced Placement testing, the Oconee County School Board heard on Monday.
Teachers and students may have a fall break and a second winter break next school year if the Oconee County Board of Education approves the 2012-13 calendar proposal.
The Board heard a presentation from Lynda Hale, assistant superintendent for curriculum, at a work session on Monday.
The 2012-13 proposed calendar was designed using data collected last year that helped create the current calendar, she said.
Students and teachers like the Wednesday start day for the first day of school, Hale reported. But most notably, she said, teachers asked for a fall break and second winter break.
To schedule winter break in February, the holiday break was shortened and the school year will end later in May, Hale said, adding that it is considered more favorable by high school educators because of Advanced Placement (AP) exams that continue into the third week of May.
Superintendent John Jackson explained elaborated: "High school folks really wanted the ending of the school to go a little bit further into May to allow for all the AP exams," he explained. "And so it really was a high school teacher, high school request."
Like in the past several years, the proposed calendar includes 178 days of instruction, but it continues to meet the state's requirement of 180 hours, Hale said.
Here are some of the key dates on the proposed 2012-13 calendar:
- Possible New Employee Orientation Day: Friday, July 20
- Pre-planning: Wednesday through Friday, Aug. 1-3, and Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 6-7
- First day of school: Wednesday, Aug. 8
- Fall break: Thursday and Friday, Oct. 11-12
- Nov. 6 General Election: Students off, Teacher Workday
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday through Friday Nov. 21-23
- Holiday Break:Thursday, Dec. 20 through Wednesday, Jan. 2
- Winter Break:Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 18-19
- Spring Break: April 1-5
- Last day of school: Tuesday, May 21
- Post-planning: Wednesday and Thursday, May 22-23
- Graduation: Saturday, May 25
Jackson said he will recommend the Board place the proposed calendar on the table at the next week's regular meeting so it can be further reviewed and publicized for a month. The Board may call for a vote on the calendar at its regular meeting in November if board members desire, he said.
Are you happy with the proposed 2012-13 school calendar? What do you like (or dislike) about it and why?