Community Celebrates the Life and Legacy of Kajal Patel
The teen with a big smile and an even bigger heart was remembered by family, friends, and classmates at Athens Academy on Sunday.
A celebration infused with music and art was held on Sunday to remember the life and legacy of Kajal Patel, the student who passed away last week after fighting an immune disorder most of her life.
Kajal inspired the world-record-breaking Bone Marrow-Thon drive organized by her classmates last year to add potential donors to the Be the Match registry.
"The impact that Kajal's life has had on others no absolutely no bounds," remarked Kajal's sixth grade teacher, Drew Brantley. "There are literally thousands of people in this community, across the county and around the world that have been positively influenced and affected by Kajal, the bone marrow-thon, and everything that Kajal stands for."
Watch the school's webcast of the full service here.
Donations in Kajal's memory may be made to the Fund for Youth Service and Leadership at PO Box 647, Watkinsville, GA 30677 or Athens Academy/Kajal PO Box 6548 Athens, GA 30604.
- Athens Mayor Nancy Denson Presents 'Heart of the City' to Patel Family
- Athens Academy Student Kajal Patel Loses Battle with Immune Disorder
- Athens Academy Arranges for VoiceQuilt to Unite Messages of Support for Kajal Patel
- Record-Breaking Marrow-Thon Yields Matches For Kajal Patel
- Marrow-Thon Breaks World Record
- Athens Academy Students Hope 24-Hour Marrow-Thon Will Save Sick Classmate