Part-time Library Job Available
The Athens Regional Library System is hiring in Oconee.
Part-time Branch Library Assistant
Athens Regional Library System
Oconee County Library
12 hour per week/$8.00 per hour
Two weeks rotation: Mondays 5 p.m. – 9 p. m.
Wednesdays 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Third week rotation: Mondays 5 p.m. – 9 p. m.
Wednesdays 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturdays 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. (30 minute unpaid lunch)
Sundays 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
The weekend rotation would start June 16-17.
Purpose and Scope
This 12/hrs/wk part-time position works with other Library Assistants to provide front-line services, including circulation, to patrons in the library and performs other routine, supportive duties. This position requires dependability, tact, knowledge of library policies and procedures and the ability to work as part of a team. The ability to start, finish or pick up work projects at various points, without direct supervision, is vital. This position reports directly to the Assistant Branch Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting with their information questions, readers’ advisory and circulation needs using the Evergreen PINES system.
- Assists and instructs library patrons in computer activities, including catalog, database and Internet searching, use of library scanner, uploading files to an internet webpage, other routine electronic tasks.
- Provides support in many areas of daily library operations, including opening and closing the library; basic facility maintenance; organizing and re-shelving materials; accepting fees and fines; routing holds, loans and information; materials processing; and performing basic office duties, including answering telephones
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively with patrons of all ages
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to use, understand and assist patrons with computer applications
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS and branch policies, procedures and activities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate successfully with patrons and staff
- Organizational skills and the ability to plan and prioritize assignments and activities
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office support, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change mentally.
- (ADA)Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
o Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery & equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 20 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of sedentary work.
o Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare &/or judge readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) or data, people, or things.
o Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability to speak &/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes giving/receiving assignments &/or directions.
o Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of records, notices, lists, manuals & informational documentation, directions, instructions, & methods & procedures. Requires the ability to prepare schedules, records, reports & logs using prescribed formats & conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, & style. Requires the ability to speak to people with poise, voice control, & confidence.
o Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn & understand basic principles & techniques; to acquire & be able to expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation; & to make independent judgment in the absence of management.
o Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record & deliver information, to explain procedures, & to follow oral & written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively & efficiently.
o Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add & subtract totals; multiply & divide & utilize determine percentages.
o Form/Spatial Aptitude: Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, & shape, visually with computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment.
o Motor Coordination: May require the ability to coordinate hands & eyes in using a computer, telephone & other office equipment.
o Manual Dexterity: Requires the ability to handle a variety of items such as computer, telephone, copy machine & Audio/Video equipment. Must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
o Color Discrimination: Requires the ability to differentiate between colors & shades of color.
o Interpersonal Temperament: Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving & receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under moderate stress when confronted with an emergency.
o Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk &/or hear: (Talking = expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words). (Hearing = perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent and at least one year college required, with college degree preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position. Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test.