Oconee Today -- May 4
It's the first Friday of the month! Time for festivities in downtown Watkinsville.
Weather: We'll see a mix of clouds and sun with a 30 percent chance of isolated thunderstorms. The Weather Channel predicts highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid to upper 60s overnight.
Top things to know:
- Voting for this week's Readers' Choice -- best place in the Oconee area for Mother's Day lunch or dinner -- closes at 9 a.m. Click here to cast your vote now.
- North Oconee's varsity baseball team takes on Lakeview-fort Oglethorpe in a doubleheader in the first round of AA state playoffs. It begins at 3 p.m. at home.
- Speaking of baseball, the UGA Diamond Dogs host SEC rival Auburn this weekend. The first of a three-game series starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5, $8 for reserved seats, and free for UGA students.
- The fifth First Friday season kicks off this evening from 6-9 p.m. in downtown Watkinsville. The free event, sponsored by the Watkinsville Trade and Tourism Association, boasts kids activities and free popcorn.
- Oconee County Fire and Rescue personnel will be recognized with an appreciation dinner at the Civic Center at 6:30 p.m.