Oconee Today - June 3
Plenty of things to do and places to go to beat the year's first heat wave.
1. The first summer heat wave starts this weekend, with highs today around 96 degrees with a 20 percent chance of rain, mostly after 3 p.m. Lows will be in the low 70s.
2. Need to dust off your moonwalking skills? Check out the June version of First Friday on Main tonight. This is a family-friendly event featuring dining, shopping and events for the kids. And who doesn’t love free popcorn?
3. The Oconee Cultural Arts Center will have a member’s exhibition from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. to recognize the expertise of the Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation membership.
4. The State Botanical Garden will host a Friends First Friday event at 9 a.m. The program is “An Irreverant but Relevant Look at Plant Names,” and it includes a breakfast and discussion. Cost is $12 and $10 for members. Contact: 706-542-6138.
5. Unwind from the workweek by sculpting some clay. Each Friday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Good Dirt has a “Try Clay” class for all ages. You can learn a variety of techniques with terra cotta clay, and your work will be finished with a food safe glaze.