Oconee Today -- Jan. 21
A highlight of five things Oconee County residents should know for today.
Today's daily dose features a genealogy-based event and local basketball lineup among other valuable information.
1. Cooler temperatures lead Oconee into the weekend. Highs are expected to reach into the mid to upper 40s with a mix of sun and clouds.
2. In an interview with Patch, Watkinsville Mayor Joe Walter discussed renovations that will take place at Harris Shoals Park in the near future. If you haven't had a chance to stop there lately, take a moment of your Friday and head over to the park on VFW Drive for a stroll in the brisk air. Check back later today to read about what else Mayor Walter had to say.
3. Earlier this month snow kept us locked in our homes for longer than we would have liked, but don't let that lock-in deter you from checking out a unique event tonight at Oconee County Public Library. "Searching after Sunset: Genealogy Lock-in" will teach basic genealogy research tools so that you may uncover your family's history. The event is free, but registration is required, so call ahead! Please arrive fifteen minutes prior to the 6 p.m. start time. The program will last about four hours.
4. Here’s a rundown of today's basketball lineup:
- Oconee Middle School girls and boys play against Haymon Morris starting at 4:30 p.m.
- North Oconee High School JV and varsity girls' and boys' squads host Jackson County starting at 4:15 p.m. Varsity basketball starts at 7.
- Oconee County High School JV and varsity girls' and boys' teams meet Johnson High School beginning at 4:15 p.m. Varsity starts at 7.
- It's Senior Night against New Birth for Westminster Christian Academy's varsity boys' team at 8 p.m.
5. The 10-time national champion UGA Gym Dogs meet Auburn in the SEC gymnastics opener tonight in Athens beginning at 7:30 p.m. at Stegeman Coliseum.