Oconee Today -- Jan. 19
Today's round-up of happenings includes art, literature, sports, politics, and dance. What more could you ask for?
From an art exhibit to shakin' your groove thing, events in and around Oconee today offer a little something for everyone.
1. Today is the final day that "Hands That Can Do" will be on display at Lyndon House Arts Center in Athens. It is a collection of quilts made by African-American women artists. There is no cost to view the art.
2. If you missed out yesterday, this morning there are two additional opportunities to take your young child to Oconee Public Library for Storytime. Sessions begin at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. and explore music, literature, and arts and crafts. Storytime is for children between the ages of 2 and 5.
3. Oconee County Middle School boys and girls basketball teams travel to face off against Malcom Bridge this afternoon beginning at 4:30 p.m. Which of the inter-county rivals will take home bragging rights?
4. Join the GOP in Oconee for a meeting in the government annex building tonight at 7 p.m.
5. Get your Latin dance on at Spicy Salsa tonight at New Earth Music Hall on the corner of N. Hull Street and W. Dougherty Street in downtown Athens. Instructor Gonzalo Miyagui will teach a basic salsa dance class beginning at 9:30 p.m. and demonstrate more advanced moves later in the evening. Following the lesson, stay and dance the night away to a mix of salsa, bachata, merengue, and reggaeton beats. Cover is only $3. Speaking from experience, I can say it is fun for novice and experienced dancers alike.