News From Oconee County Fire Rescue: Water Heater Malfunction Sparks Kitchen Fire at Wendy's
Calls Oconee County Fire Rescue responded to during the week of Jan. 16-22.
Firefighters were dispatched to a kitchen fire at Wendy's around 8 a.m. on Jan. 17. When they arrived, the fire had already been extinguished, but smoke filled the building, Fire Chief Bruce Thaxton said.
Firefighters ventilated the smoke and determined the fire was due to a hot water heater malfunction. There was damage to electrical wiring on the hot water heater, but no other damage to the restaurant, Thaxton said.
No one was injured during the incident.
Here is a summary of calls Oconee County Fire Rescue responded to during the week of Jan. 16-22:
- 9:25 a.m., 1109 Westminster Terrace
- 5:22 a.m., 2230 Hog Mountain Road – Oconee County Elementary School
- 11:51 a.m., 1331 New High Shoals Road – Watkinsville First United Methodist
- 12:26 p.m., 1851 Epps Bridge Road – Lowe’s
- 10:50 p.m., 1160 Capital Avenue – Sunshine Pediatrics
- 5:19 p.m., 5500 block of Macon Highway
- 10:13 a.m., Elder Mill Road near Saxon Road
Hydraulic Fluid Spill
- 12:50 p.m., 3:42 p.m., 2061 Hog Mountain Road
Illegal Control Burn
- 10:30 p.m., 1000 block of Wire Bridge Road
- 8:12 a.m., 1011 Jordan Drive – Wendy’s
Smoke Odor in Home
- 5:28 p.m., 1171 River Haven Lane
There were a total of 44 medical emergencies last week. All information was provided by Oconee County Fire Rescue.